Performs a variety of manually value-added processes within several manufacturing areas which may include electroplating housing and connectors, chem-filming manufactured products, mark-up and touch up; processes follow established procedures within the traveler document; employee may perform and know at a minimum one or more processes within each of the areas in one of the following labs: plating, etching and/or chem-filiming, mark-up or touch-up; performs work of semi-routine complexity, may require instruction on new tasks in one of the following labs: plating, etching, painting, mark-up, touch-up and/or chem-film.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS and DUTIES:
- Receives raw material from machine shop (aluminum, steel, covar and brass); preps parts.
- Places parts on rack parts; perform the required procedures according to the traveler.
- Inspects plated circuits for defects; handles and works around hazardous chemicals.
- Pulls raw material from shelf; preps parts for etching (clean, rack, etch parts).
- Applies basic chemistry principles for etching; uses one of the following seven processes: etchback, chem-milling; duroid plate with nickel plating, etc.
- Inspects etched parts; handle and works around hazardous chemicals.
Painting, Marking, Touch-Up and Chemfilm Lab:
- Set up production Inkjet, Silk-screen and Off-set printer equipment; mark production units using the traveler document.
- Perform silk-screen process, continue with Off-set procedure; execute permanency test.
- Complete inspection on painted and non-painted parts using microscope; mix paint; use small paint brushes to touch up parts.
- Inspect dry painted parts and quality assurance for additional Touch-Up operations.
- Grind aluminum surfaces using scotchbrite, fiberglass pens or wire brush and grinding machine.
- Continue chemical conversion coatings on aluminum; handle and works around hazardous chemical.
- Inspect parts, and conduct quality assurance for mark-up, touch-up and chemfilm processes.
- Use microscope for inspection of production units; obtain blueprints from satellite files for part production.
- Participate in safety training and actively comply with safety policies and practices.
- Improve and maintain 5S in your area; make suggestions for improvements.
- Participate in Lean/Six Sigma activities in own work area as well as events for other areas to enhance cross-functional problem solving.
- Actively participate in team meetings and activities, including SET team support as appropriate.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
MINIMUM JOB QUALIFICATIONS: (The following qualifications can be acquired and demonstrated through experience, education and/or vocational training as noted or as appropriate.)
- Four (4) years of experience in one of the labs mentioned above; detail-oriented, good manual and hand-eye dexterity; high school diploma or equivalent, required;
- Communication skills: ability to ask questions and rephrase statements to clarify meaning; ability to read, interpret and comprehend simple written and verbal instructions; ability to read blueprints and Material Safety Data Sheets; ability to communicate with quality, integrity and respect in a way that inspires others and encourages innovation and possibilities; proficient English reading level to understand technical terminology used within the organization;
- Computer skills: working knowledge of MicroSoft Suite with Word and Excel;
- Equipment skills: knowledge of proper and safe use of equipment, chemicals, tools, etc.; knowledge of procedures related to safety; ability to use spray guns and other devices, pressure tanks, fluid and air hoses, compressors, sanders, air and fluid regulators; ability to use respirators and other personal protective equipment;
- Chemical skills: ability to use different chemicals such as epoxy, polyurethane paints, primers and wash primers or other material as specified by military specifications; ability to work around chemicals;
- Math skills; ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all unit of measure; ability to measure using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals; ability to understand and perform decimal, fraction and metric calculations and conversion; ability to compute rate, ratio and percentage and to draw and interpret bar graphs;
- Time Management and organizational skills: flexibility and adaptability to changing priorities and assignments; ability to maintain confidentiality; ability to cope with rapidly changing priorities; ability to prioritize workload on a daily basis;
- Excellence Behaviors: remain engaged, proactive and positive even in tough circumstances; own assignments and be fully accountable for their success; align actions, behaviors and conversations to what matters most; bring out the best in others and recognize the value in every person’s contributions; ability to work as part of a team.
May be required to obtain and maintain security clearance, which requires USA Citizenship.
Cobham's values of Trust, Talent and Technology have driven us from our launch in 1934 by Sir Alan Cobham, an aviation innovator, to becoming a global leader in state-of-the-art aerospace and defense systems. And it’s the insights of our innovators today that will secure our collective future. Innovators like you.
Cobham is one of the world's leading companies engaged in the development, delivery and support of leading-edge aerospace and defense systems in the air, on land and at sea. Our clients and partners trust Cobham to deliver the mission-critical technology they need, and we trust our employees to draw on their ingenuity and passion to deliver those solutions. This leads to an empowering culture for our people. Our Leadership team is open, sharing plans for the next five years, driving retention by offering demanding, exciting work, and providing full guidance and mentoring.
Cobham is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and embraces diversity in our employee population. It is the policy of Cobham to provide equal opportunity to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or genetic information. Cobham will refrain from discharging, or otherwise discriminating against, employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants.