CNC Operator II
Operate multiple CNC Mills set up by Machinist, load and unload parts in vises or fixtures provided; run the appropriate CNC program; inspect work for conformance using various calibrated measuring instruments, gauges, video comparator and the Coordinate Measuring Machine (CMM); perform detailed visual inspection of features and surface defects for compliance with drawing; perform works of moderate complexity.
Essential Functions and Duties
- Operate Computerized Numerical Control (CNC) tools and equipment to machine parts with simple features, low complexity level and non-shippable fixtures in accordance with blueprints.
- Remove burrs and sharp edges from various metal and non-metal machined parts having critical features and transition holes, moderate complexity level in accordance with drawings.
- Deburr machined parts using proper deburring techniques per Process Procedure 000602, under a microscope, using small hand tools such as X-acto knives, carbide paper and scotch-brite as necessary.
- Install helical coils, dowel pins and additional hardware according to specifications; determine proper tooling and fixtures required for the job request; remove chips and debris from machined parts; clean parts using degreaser, Hydro-hone and alcohol as required.
- Package parts to avoid damage prior to releasing further to the final processes; inspect traveler documentation and completion of DB I-III required operations prior to further or final processing of PS 000395.
- Monitor and verify quality in accordance with statistical processes or other control procedures as required.
- Select and cut proper materials for job orders using a band saw; maintain lube oil and coolant levels and perform preventative maintenance on associated machines and equipment.
- Participate in safety training and actively comply with safety policies and practices.
- Improve and maintain 5S in your area; make suggestions for improvements.
- Participate in Lean/Six Sigma activities in own work area as well as events for other areas to enhance cross-functional problem solving.
- Collaborate in team meetings and activities, including SET team support as appropriate.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Employees are committed to ensuring a safe and healthy work environment. Employees are responsible for cooperating with all aspects of the safety program. All employees are expected to demonstrate proper safety behaviors, including reporting any unsafe conditions or safety violations to a supervisor or manager. Employees are dedicated to obtaining and maintaining the Cobham goal of zero accidents and injuries.
- Four (4) years of related experience in a machine shop environment, detail-oriented, with good manual dexterity, have good hand-eye coordination; high school diploma or equivalent, required; CNC Operator training, preferred;
- Communication skills: ability to ask questions and rephrase statements to clarify meaning; ability to read and comprehend simple instructions; ability to write simple correspondence; ability to read, interpret and comprehend complex written and verbal instructions, including Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS); ability to communicate with quality, integrity and respect in a way that inspires others and encourages innovation and possibilities; proficient English reading level to understand technical terminology used within the organization;
- Computer skills: working knowledge of MS Office; basic knowledge of CNC machining concepts; knowledge and understanding of program editing, data input and program storage;
- Equipment skills: knowledge of shop equipment in carrying out assigned duties such as hydro-hone, micro-blaster, drill press, tool grinder and band saw; ability to use measuring equipment such as micrometer, caliper, tape measure and steel rule;
- Math skills; ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all unit of measure; ability to measure using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals; ability to understand and perform decimal, fraction and metric calculations and conversion; ability to compute rate, ratio and percentage and to draw and interpret bar graphs
Cobham's values of Trust, Talent and Technology have driven us from our launch in 1934 by Sir Alan Cobham, an aviation innovator, to becoming a global leader in state-of-the-art aerospace and defense systems. And it’s the insights of our innovators today that will secure our collective future. Innovators like you.
Cobham is one of the world's leading companies engaged in the development, delivery and support of leading-edge aerospace and defense systems in the air, on land and at sea. Our clients and partners trust Cobham to deliver the mission-critical technology they need, and we trust our employees to draw on their ingenuity and passion to deliver those solutions. This leads to an empowering culture for our people. Our Leadership team is open, sharing plans for the next five years, driving retention by offering demanding, exciting work, and providing full guidance and mentoring.
Cobham is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and embraces diversity in our employee population. It is the policy of Cobham to provide equal opportunity to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or genetic information. Cobham will refrain from discharging, or otherwise discriminating against, employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants.