Senior RF Engineer
Cobham Antenna Systems, Exeter Facility is part of the Cobham family of companies and joins over 10,000 employees on five continents, with customers and partners in more than 100 countries and annual revenues in excess of $3B. Microwave Components, Exeter manufactures custom microwave components, integrated high performance assemblies and antennas for radar, electronic warfare and communications systems supporting the Aerospace and Defense Industries.
• Support design activities as a “Project Lead” for the cable and/or waveguide value streams by utilizing simulation software. Delegation and program management skills to be used to run projects, from spec review/quoting phase to end customer delivery.
• Support sales and BD in quotes and spec reviews of cable and waveguide components.
• Perform and author qualification test plans and qualification test reports. Author other test plans/reports to include but not limited to: ATPs, White Paper Write-ups, Analysis Reports, customer responses, etc.
• Interface with customers and vendors via all forms of communication, ie: email, phone, face-to-face. Run peer reviews, customer reviews, Kick-off meetings, PDRs, CDRs, etc, with internal and external stakeholders.
• Support production and quality with product support and MRB support. Providing RF engineering expertise and support to operations and other functions as needed to achieve customer satisfaction, revenue, profitability, and continuous improvement objectives.
• Works only under general direction. Independently determines and develops approach to solutions. Work is reviewed upon completion to ensure that objectives have been met. May assist in orienting and training lower level employees in completing work assignments.
• Aid in the borderless engineering initiative. Working collaboratively with the other IES engineers to enable cross-functional and cross-site teams to realize the full strength of IES engineering capabilities, including coordinating resource assignments, tool selection, and procedure development.
• Assuring that engineering activities are performed in accordance with SOF-E and LCM guidelines, including application of appropriate tailoring based on the varying complexity and risk of individual programs.
• Assuring that design for manufacturability, design to unit production cost (DTUPC), and design for reliability are considered during all development efforts (in coordination with the NPI Engineering Manager).
• Work collaboratively with the mechanical engineering group to help determine trade studies for environmental, mechanical and power/thermal considerations. Produce simulation models to interface with the mechanical group for mechanical and thermal design simulations.
• Regular updates to management on project status.
• This position reports to the RF Engineering Manager.
• BSEE or equivalent plus 5 years minimum experience in new product development and engineering-to-production transitions. Ability to design for manufacturability and cost targets.
• Strong working knowledge of RF passive components, waveguide assemblies, and cable assemblies.
• Experience using Ansys HFSS, CST or ADS or other RF modeling toolset.
• Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office tools such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Project.
• Able to follow new product introduction processes and procedures. Follow LCM process as directed by Cobham’s internal SOF-e initiatives.
• Experience with RF measurements including: VSWR, Insertion Loss, Insertion Phase, Coupling, Directivity, Smith Charts, and TDR plots.
• Strong interpersonal and writing skills.
• Ability to work in a fast paced, occasionally high stress, manufacturing environment with hard deadlines and revenue goals.
• US Citizen with ability to obtain a SECRET security clearance. Active SECRET clearance a plus. Selected applicant will be subject to a government security investigation and must meet the eligibility requirements for access to classified information. A urine analysis drug test is required for employment.
• BSEE with advanced post-graduate studies in Microwave RF systems engineering or equivalent.
• Able to use and manipulate SolidWorks models, parts/assemblies. Able to make engineering sketches with SolidWorks to be used by a model shop and/or outside machine shops/vendors to produce engineering samples and prototypes. Complete mastery of SolidWorks is not a requirement.
• Strong utilization skills of Ansys HFSS, CST or ADS. The ability to create parametric models and run parametric/optimization sweeps to converge on optimal results in a short period of time.
• Experience with engineering and quality requirements for defense applications.
• Familiarity with MIL-STD-348, MIL-PRF-39012, MIL-DTL-85, MIL-DTL-23351, MIL-DTL-3922, MIL-DTL-39000, MIL-DTL-287.
• Familiar with manufacturing processes including machining, CNC milling, aluminum dip brazing, ferrous metal torch and furnace brazing, metal fabrications and plating.
• Strong design background in waveguide components, coaxial, stripline components, microwave switches, ferrite, circulators and coupling structures.
• Able to use network analyzer (PNA), and spectrum analyzer.
• Strong project management skills desired.
Cobham's values of Trust, Talent and Technology have driven us from our launch in 1934 by Sir Alan Cobham, an aviation innovator, to becoming a global leader in state-of-the-art aerospace and defense systems. And it’s the insights of our innovators today that will secure our collective future. Innovators like you.
Cobham is one of the world's leading companies engaged in the development, delivery and support of leading-edge aerospace and defense systems in the air, on land and at sea. Our clients and partners trust Cobham to deliver the mission-critical technology they need, and we trust our employees to draw on their ingenuity and passion to deliver those solutions. This leads to an empowering culture for our people. Our Leadership team is open, sharing plans for the next five years, driving retention by offering demanding, exciting work, and providing full guidance and mentoring.
Cobham is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and embraces diversity in our employee population. It is the policy of Cobham to provide equal opportunity to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or genetic information. Cobham will refrain from discharging, or otherwise discriminating against, employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants.