Product Line Director
Cobham Advanced Electronic Solutions Inc. is actively seeking a Program Director within its IES Business Unit. This role requires a highly motivated and highly effective individual to lead efforts involving market analyses and capture strategy development for existing Product Lines within the Microwave Components business area.
The Program Director role requires a balance of external considerations (customers, markets) and internal environment (operational execution, program execution, and technical landscape) to lead a holistic product marketing effort for the assigned business area. Within the IES Business Unit portfolio, strategic programs and relationships are developing and being realized in terms of both customer base and market opportunity. Therefore, the role requires a particular product familiarity with MW components and aftermarket sustainment, with a strong leadership/communication style. For this role, a background in leading commercial and defense product pricing, strategic inventory management, and supply chain development is desirable.
With lead responsibility for this key product area of IES, the successful candidate will identify and manage the strategy to drive assigned opportunities through the full life cycle, which involves evolving customer partnerships and active engagement in continuing to build the pipeline of opportunities in collaboration with Business Development and the Microwave Components Business Area Vice President. The goal is to provide the programmatic focus required to achieve excellence in delivery performance and product quality, and to gain market share through strategic pricing and market positioning, thereby driving exceptional customer satisfaction and associated growth opportunities.
This includes actively engaging with the customer base in order to anticipate their requirements, align to their roadmaps, and ultimately, ensure that a well-articulated strategy and value proposition is available to all stakeholders. This includes serving as “the voice of the customer” inside the business, to internally convey the value proposition through effective pricing, quoting, negotiation, planning, manufacturing and production.
This role will operate within a matrixed organization and be required to work horizontally and vertically, across sites, collaborating with functions and value streams to prioritize within constraints and deliver on commitments in a challenging environment.
As Strategic Programs Program Director, your key responsibilities will be:
- At the outset, serve as Program Management Lead for the initial development and product build efforts related to initial customer requirements; this is through managing a combination of internally- and customer-funded activities. Requires strong PM skills and capabilities to execute the program, while also being able to drive overall product line strategy and growth.
- Driving the product portfolio through all phases of its Lifecycle including: ideation in line with market needs; development of business cases for products/services; phase appropriate pricing; marketing strategies; support of product in the field; next generation of technology offerings; etc.
- Contributing to internal business strategy development including market analysis, product and technology roadmaps and other marketing tasks.
- Developing product and technology requirements for current and future product developments through close coordination with: Business Area VP; BD team; key customers; and Engineering and Operations.
- Driving the relevant roadmaps and liaising with aforementioned organizations to agree the investment plan and allocation of resources.
- Understanding market dynamics and competitive environment to ensure product delivery strategies are positioned to maximize sales, profit and cash.
- Utilize all necessary strategies (e.g. licenses, strategic partnerships, acquisitions) to ensure growth in both core and adjacent market spaces.
- Provide sales tools (e.g. part number strategy; price positioning; value proposition; training and sales campaign planning) to BD & Sales to maximize revenue.
Key Measures & Milestones:
- Product sales, market share - measured by orders & revenue.
- Recognized product / service leadership in market segment - measured by customer satisfaction ratings and operational KPI’s
- Championing change and thought leadership.
- Extensive coordination with functional management.
- Works with Functional Leaders, Business Development, Operations, etc. to develop shared goals that support this role’s accountabilities.
- Bachelor’s Degree, or equivalent, plus 10 years’ experience, five of which must have been in a management position within Program Management, Production Management, Business Development, or Engineering discipline.
- Work Experience must encompass in-depth knowledge of the product set and industry including; leading high volume production programs, space-based products and operating in a commercial market space.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and continuously manage pricing to maximize benefits.
- Demonstrated experience in specialized market segments, customer base and product areas.
- Proven ability to build and maintain relevant internal and external relationships, with strong customer rapport and proven customer trust.
- Experience in the proactive development, and successful execution, of relevant strategies addressing evolving customer needs and market dynamics.
- Experience creating executable value propositions.
- Willingness to travel ~25%.
- Demonstrate Cobham’s SPIRIT values (Safety/Security, Performance, Innovation, Relationships, Integrity, Trust)
- Demonstrated competency in Cobham’s functional competencies for BD/Sales and Program Management
- Demonstrated competency in Lifecycle Management principals
- Established relationships with affiliated industries and customers.
- PMI Certification.
Key Leadership Competencies:
- An authentic and believable leader who communicates with conviction and humility and is able to engender trust throughout the organization.
- A natural communicator and influencer, using such strengths in often difficult and complex situations.
- Strong emotional intelligence.
- Enthusiasm for building high-performing teams.
- An approachable, hands-on and “roll up the sleeves” management style with attention to detail. Keen business judgement with the ability to provide fresh, proactive insight.
- A willingness to be out among the employees and the customers listening to their ideas and concerns while gaining their trust and support.
- A communication style which instills confidence and can cross organizational boundaries.
- An entrepreneurial orientation, yet with the skills and savvy to work within the existing company culture and help to evolve into the desired culture.
- Flexibility and problem-solving capabilities
- High energy level and strong action orientation.
- US Citizenship
- Relevant industry experience applicable to this requirement: high volume manufacturing; space products, commercial contracting, academic partnerships.
- Selected applicant will be subject to a government security investigation and must meet the eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
Cobham's values of Trust, Talent and Technology have driven us from our launch in 1934 by Sir Alan Cobham, an aviation innovator, to becoming a global leader in state-of-the-art aerospace and defense systems. And it’s the insights of our innovators today that will secure our collective future. Innovators like you.
Cobham is one of the world's leading companies engaged in the development, delivery and support of leading-edge aerospace and defense systems in the air, on land and at sea. Our clients and partners trust Cobham to deliver the mission-critical technology they need, and we trust our employees to draw on their ingenuity and passion to deliver those solutions. This leads to an empowering culture for our people. Our Leadership team is open, sharing plans for the next five years, driving retention by offering demanding, exciting work, and providing full guidance and mentoring.
Cobham is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and embraces diversity in our employee population. It is the policy of Cobham to provide equal opportunity to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or genetic information. Cobham will refrain from discharging, or otherwise discriminating against, employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants.