Engineering Product Operations Manager
Cobham is seeking an Engineering Product Operations Manager. This role reports to the Director of Engineering and is a key engineering leadership position in the management of the site’s engineering operations. This leadership role partners with site functions to achieve strategic goals, provides manufacturing support and direction enabling on time delivery, and customer satisfaction. In addition, has responsibilities for continuous improvement and engineering efficiency.
The ideal candidate is someone with a engineering and product development background who has an operational perspective and experience. In particular, experience interfacing with quality, supply chain, and manufacturing leading new product deployment and steady state operations. Must have proven capabilities to work across functions in a matrix organization to streamline and optimize engineering practices to improve development speed and operational results.
Major Job Responsibilities
· Provide sustaining engineering and daily production operations support to the Lansdale manufacturing operations, Supply Chain, and Quality teams. Specifically, timely, hands-on technical guidance as needed on issues affecting products currently in production as well as managing/updating products design documentation.
· Works on issues that impact design/selling success or address future concepts, products, or technologies. Creates formal networks with key decision makers and serves as external spokesperson.
· Facilitate product launch and first time Lansdale build readiness reviews. Assists in the monitoring of product assembly through production, and take action to continuously improve.
· Create, develop and document engineering processes as needed to ensure that products currently in production are being assembled and tested using the most effective methods available. This may include written instructions, fixtures, tooling and equipment. Manage and report engineering process metrics and activities involved with the engineering change management process. Communicate with senior leadership on status of product and engineering operational KPI’s
· Assist with resolution of engineering escalations and enable on time deliveries. Act independently to uncover and resolve issues associated product manufacturing operations. Exercise wide latitude in determining objectives and approaches to critical assignments/problems to obtain desired outcomes.
· Participate in the Material Review Board (MRB) and manage resolution of product non-conformance reports.
· Prepares Engineering Change Orders (ECO) and related engineering documentation (i.e. drawings, work instructions, Bills of Material, specifications, etc.) for Documentation Control. Reviews preliminary documentation packages for technical completeness and accuracy and provides technical guidance to Documentation Control personnel during documentation preparation and release.
· Lead, participate in and facilitate cross-functional teams on process control, optimization projects to stabilize and improve first passed yield; participate in other continuous improvement projects (i.e. Kaizen, Baseline, Value Stream Map, Production Preparation Process 3P)
· May serve as a team member of various project teams.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
· Participate in design reviews and ensure Design for Manufacturing (DFM) philosophy is applied. Ensure continuous feedback is used to better design guides and design rules.
· Provides technical support to Program Management and Business Development to assist in resolving customer issues. Reviews Engineering inputs to customer proposals, creating solutions and estimating materials, testing costs and Engineering labor.
· Coordinates regularly with team members from other organizations. Monitors progress of tasks on established project schedules and reports status
· Interfaces regularly with external suppliers and customers to facilitate completion of design, cost reduction, yield improvement, component substitution and troubleshooting activities.
Required Skills and Experiences
· Bachelor’s degree in mechanical or electrical engineering, physics or related field
· 5 years of experience in Product Engineering, Product, Project, or Program Management, or equivalent in an operations facing assignments.
· Wide-ranging experience with mechanical or electro-mechanical design & manufacture, and strong product and technology expertise.
· Broad experience delivering consistent engineering results across the entire product life cycle. Specifically, resolution of issues that impact design/selling success or address future products or technologies.
· Knowledge and experience in driving significant engineering processes, practices, and measures of performance, including, working knowledge of Life Cycle Management and/or Stage-Gate methodology
· Ability to operate in a cross-functional and matrix environment.
· Broad project management experience involving complex multi-disciplined task. Ability to effectively communicate with customers, government agencies and senior company Leadership.
· Broad Ability to mediate conflicting needs in order to achieve mutually agreed outcomes.
· Ability to influence behaviors in line with Cobham’s SPIRIT values, exhibiting strong leadership behavior and emotional intelligence – leaning forward to positively address and change prevailing cultures.
· Ensure effective design discussions occur at all levels, strong communication skills, employ diplomacy with confidence and tact, and assertiveness without antagonism or alienation.
· Critical thinking knowledge to trouble shoot issues, conducts root case analysis, and resolves design issues. Demonstrated ability to quickly review and analyze data, create report, and present findings to panels, groups, teams, or departments as required.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Specifically, ability to effectively communicate with customers, government agencies and senior company Leadership.
· Good engineering work practice/ethic, self-motivated, and reliable; Demonstrated ability to deliver on-time and work well with team members as a project lead.
· Ability to obtain and maintain a Secret security clearance.
· Master’s degree in a field of engineering, Strong business acumen and/or MBA degree.
· Certification in Lean 6-sigma methods preferred. Black Belt, DFSS/SSDD Black Belt, or Project Management Professional Certification.
· Experience applying Design for Six Sigma (DFSS) optimization methods and Agile project management.
· Familiar with AS9100 quality systems and the ability to interpret technical and regulatory specifications and convert requirements to qualifying actions including analysis, similarity, and testing.
Cobham's values of Trust, Talent and Technology have driven us from our launch in 1934 by Sir Alan Cobham, an aviation innovator, to becoming a global leader in state-of-the-art aerospace and defense systems. And it’s the insights of our innovators today that will secure our collective future. Innovators like you.
Cobham is one of the world's leading companies engaged in the development, delivery and support of leading-edge aerospace and defense systems in the air, on land and at sea. Our clients and partners trust Cobham to deliver the mission-critical technology they need, and we trust our employees to draw on their ingenuity and passion to deliver those solutions. This leads to an empowering culture for our people. Our Leadership team is open, sharing plans for the next five years, driving retention by offering demanding, exciting work, and providing full guidance and mentoring.
Cobham is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and embraces diversity in our employee population. It is the policy of Cobham to provide equal opportunity to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or genetic information. Cobham will refrain from discharging, or otherwise discriminating against, employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants.